Our Mission – Central Interface and Innovation Hub
- Connect expertises and provide an inspiring environment for cutting-edge research
- Bring data science applications and foundational research into diverse domains
- Support innovation and transfer competence from MDSI to the scientific community and partners in industry
- Create a sustainable platform to train future scientists and to educate professionals,
- Offer easy access to ressources, services and knowledge enabling top notch research
- Drive the interaction and discussion between the scientific community, industry, public administration, and society on data-related topics.
We are dedicated to cutting-edge research and innovation in Data Science and Machine Learning, promoting both fundamental and applied research. The overarching goal is to automatically infer correlations and to identify patterns in order to make reliable predictions, or to optimize processes.
From foundations to application
- Key questions of Data Science: We investigate the foundations of modern Data Science covering computer science and mathematics with a special focus on (reliable) Machine Learning and the development of methods based on neural networks.
- Research for domain-specific applications: We develop methods of Data Analysis and Machine Learning for the entire TUM’s portfolio of disciplines – for applications in fields such as personalized medicine, life sciences, aerospace, mobility, additive manufacturing, materials-, catalysis-, quantum-, astro- and climate research as well as research into the dynamics of social, political and economic systems.
- Technology transfer: We promote the transfer of novel algorithmic solutions for promising applications, working together with both industry partners and data-related start-ups.
Data collection, data management and data analysis are decisive competencies for the young talents studying at TUM, but equally for experienced executives and professionals.
The MDSI contributes its competence to the initiation, conceptual design and coordination of professional profiles for cross-department and cross-school teaching activities in the fields of Data Science and Machine Learning. We furthermore design and conduct suitable modules for the interdisciplinary promotion of young talent in these areas.
The MDSI will also cooperate with the TUM Institute for LifeLong Learning to design and subsequently provide learning opportunities on data-related topics in continued education.
Advanced data literacy is becoming increasingly important for cutting-edge research to stay internationally competitive. Researchers today must be able to access, share, and fuse relevant data, to select and use tools, and to interpret and analyze results, even without an adequate educational background.
That is why the MDSI provides domain scientists with professional data-related services and advice, including research data management. In addition, the MDSI will act as a TUM-internal think tank for the TUM Board of Management that gives strategic advice on all kind of data-related questions, such as legal issues in connection with open source and intellectual property, or the prerequisites of a modern research data infrastructure that adheres to the highest standards.